Tuesday, May 6, 2008

lost sighting and happy cinco de mayo!!

May is certainly the month of celebration in the Brock household.

Today is Cinco De Mayo, and Boy's Day.  I forgot all about Boy's Day.  The boys reminded me.  Ugh.

My MIL's birthday was yesterday.

MY birthday is Wednesday, my brother and his wife's birthdays are on Friday.  Mothers day is Sunday.

My SIL's and one of her daughter's birthdays are later this month.

Our 20th anniversary is on the 28th.

And then Memorial day.

Whew.

********************************************************

Today I saw Desmond, brotha.  I was in spittin' distance from him.  We passed by each other walking in the opposite direction on a sidewalk.

********************************************************

In the spirit of Cinco De Mayo, like a true Haole, I made tacos for supper.  Opened a can of refried beans and called it a meal.  As I was "cooking", I noticed an interesting recipe on the side of the refried beans can for soup.  It sounded so good.  It had the refried beans and chicken and Rotel tomatoes.  yum.  Nothing bad in there!  Very high in sodium.  I'm sure it can be reduced a little with intent.  I'm gonna try it, but it'll have to be after another grocery store trip.  Maybe next week.

Here's the recipe I found online.

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tomatoes, refried beans, corn and chicken combine with chicken broth for a delightful soup.


Hands On:20 minutes
Total:20 minutes
Makes:6 servings (1-1/2 cups each)

Ingredients
  • 2 cans (10 oz each) Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
  • 2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
  • 1 can (16 oz each) Rosarita No Fat Traditional Refried Beans
  • 1/2 cup drained canned whole kernel corn
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  •   Fried corn tortilla strips or chips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
Directions
  1. Combine undrained tomatoes and broth in medium saucepan. Stir in beans and corn; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Add chicken; heat through. Serve topped with tortilla strips and cheese, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 172 Sugars 3 g
Total fat 2 g Protein 20 g
Saturated fat 0 g Vitamin A 5%
Cholesterol 40 mg Vitamin C 4%
Sodium 1,160 mg Calcium 5%
Carbohydrate 18 g Iron 11%
Dietary fiber 5 g    

No comments: