Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm a slow learner...

more brassiere talk, so just move on if this will bore you to tears...  LOL!

Spent a little time on Saturday bra shopping again.  Yes, I must be looking to depress myself.  I read some bra recommendations online, and just had to run out to see if they would work for me.  Um, no.

I have a thing on Tuesday and kinda wanted a nice bra to wear.  I tried on some pushup bras - the wonderbra was just horrible!  A wonder indeed.  Fit good side fine, stood out at least 1/2 inch on the recon side.  Lovely gape.  and caused many ripples.  Made my recon side look downright ugly.  I tried on a Madenform pushup bra, cute blue color (to match my dress)  Pushups have a lot of thick, sturdy padding.  Not gonna squash in like a normal formed or padded bra.  It was even on sale.  So, I bought it.  Got it home and tried it on with the dress and realized my mistake.  I hated how it looked under the dress!  Made me look fat!  That's exactly why I didn't go with an upgrade in boob size with my reconstruction.  My build does not go well with big boobs.  $25 mistake. 

But I now realize it was $25 well spent.  A relatively cheap lesson learned.  I *like* what my recon boob looks like, more or less, naked.  Yes, it's smaller than the other side.  But when you lop off that much, you just can't retain the natural shape that God gave you.  No man on earth can make something as lovely as what God did naturally.  (I used to hate my boobs - but that was before losing one).  My recon boob has got some good things going for it.  And it does have some loveliness to it.  But, with two different sized boobs, I need to "minimize" the real one with a bra like a sports bra - mash it down, round it out.  I prefer that look on me.  I hate the bullet bra look.  On anyone.  I was not created with a full, voluptuous chestal region.  So even pushups don't really push up much, even on the good side.

To follow this rabbit trail, I keep seeing women on television who have these nice, natural, full boobs.  Cleavage galore.  And I'm always determining if they are real or fake...  If I look at you, and am not staring into your eyes but at your chest, just know that it's not a lust thing.  I just can't help it.  I'm probably wondering what kind of bra you are wearing and if Icould ever look like that!

Anyway, back to my realization.  So now I'm on a quest for a decent sports bra.  I'm wearing the Bestform sports bra. (this is NOT me - unfortunately)

It's comfortable, but kinda ugly.  6 hooks up front which makes it wide in the cleavage and a wide band in the back.  It smells funny.  I think that's the worst part.  And it stains.  But I guess that means that I need to buy new ones.  I just found the bestform site in order to get the picture, so maybe I need to puruse it.  It comes in black and white.  No other colors.  The good thing, it's cheap.

My quest is for a bra that lays smooth on my boob, that has thinner straps and a smaller area in the cleavage.  And has no smell.  Find the perfect bra, and I'm happy.  I have a "good" bra that I'm happy with.  It's from JCPenny.  It has the molded cups.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  It would not work under a tight shirt, because it would collapse on the recon side.  It does work on blouses.  Sometimes the recon side pushes down strangely on the cup making the empty point part seem like a strange hill.  It's just a weird double hump shape.  Hard to describe.

Back to the blue bra.  I'm keeping it.  It looks fine with just it on.  So that one's for my hubby.  Hubba-hubba.  I need something pretty ya know?

I'm also considering trying on wired bras.  As a principal, I hate underwires.  They hurt, and don't last long and are expensive.  But I need to at least try them on to see if they work better.  Seamed bras?  Um, no.  Nobody wants a seam to show through their clothes.  Ridiculous.  Do you hear that bra makers???  I saw someone on one of those makeover shows recommend seamed bras.  I guess it's a good thing I don't have big boobs!  I just don't fit the personality profile.  I'm a wanna be athlete!  LOL!  Now, to get my body to agree to that...

Gosh, I sure can ramble on and on about bras!!  It's not a topic I would normally even give a second thought.  You should see my pre-mastectomy bras.  Nothing to get excited about.  But they fit at the time.  That's all I want.  Something that fits.  Off the rack.  And doesn't smell.

Last little thing, I think my new boob will be cute when all is said and done.  I put another stupid little temp. tattoo on, which distracts from the scars.  That's what the nip will do - distract.  It will be cute.  Who'da thunk I'd use the word cute for my chest?

(if I keep telling myself this, I'll believe it!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate to shop for a bra, but I did have good luck with a brand called Breezies. They are sold on QVC. Take a look at their site (QVC.com)and see if you find anything. I managed to find some bras to fit me comfortably which is amazing.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Pam