Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm back!

And I really don't have a whole lot to say.  I didn't get as much cleaning as I wanted done, but I did really enjoy the freedom.  Somehow, I have gotten myself into the mode of checking my pc a LOT - I don't know what for.  Plus I began "composing thoughts" for my journals or chats in my groups.  Giving myself permission to break away was like a burden lifting!  My online friends are not a burden, but the importance I was placing on it had become a burden.  I really need more real life friends.  :-)

So what did I do?  Yes, I did move heaps of paper mountains into the circular file (trashcan).  I de-mildewed some things, but need to do more.  Finally got around to donating clothes that I have had set aside - unfortunately, they had been set aside to in front of my closet making my access difficult.  What a relief that was!  As I was refolding them, I realized that I was giving away a LOT of dresses.  About 10.  Nice ones too - but I was tired of them and the styles, while not horrid, just not what I'm wearing lately.  Some still fit, but some didn't.  Quite a variety of sizes.  I realized that some really nice ladies would have a chance to enhance their work wardrobe or be good interview pieces.  So I prayed over them and sent them away with lots of love. 

I started some new things which really make my life feel rich and enjoyable.  As you may already know, I download the daily bible studies from J Vernon McGee to listen to while I walk.  I initially found him via my parents who listen to BBN (bible broadcasting network) all the time.  Before his program comes on there is a short program which is a lady reading from a book.  It's called Christian Classics with Lynn Brooks and it's strictly a BBN thing.  She's a wonderful reader and can change her voice into any accent or tone.  She's currently reading a book about an early 20th century missionary lady to China.  I LOVE missionary biographies.  So I was wanting to download to my mp3 player, but they don't offer that.  But I CAN listen to it online.  Listening to this fascinating story makes cleaning go very quickly and pleasantly.

My mom and dad sent me a book.  It's called "The Indwelling Life of Christ: All of Him in All of Me" by Major Ian Thomas.  I've just started it.  It's almost like a little devoational book, because the chapters are just a couple of pages apiece - but you can read it all the way through at once if you want!  I've only read one chapter, but I'll be writing my thoughts about it, I'm sure, when I really get into it.  Here's something that you didn't know about me.  After I graduated high school, I didn't go straight to college.  I went to a bible school for a few months.  In Colorado.  It was a school started by Maj. Thomas and this one is run by his son.  He has schools scattered across Europe and another in Texas.  Torchbearers.  The one I went to is called Ravencrest Chalet in Estes Park, Co.  Wonderful place!  This was the perfect place for me to go.  My parents waited until I graduated to move from Alabama to Virginia.  So I was floundering a bit about where I would want to go to college.  Add that to the fact that I had just gone on a mission trip during my senior year, I really needed a gentle transition - and this was it.  I was so awkward and shy in high school.  The summer after high school I got contact lenses and kind of started blossoming.  Bible school is a safe place to blossom - however I'm sure I irritated the teachers with my giggling and talking and passing notes in class.  It gave me the confidence to stand firm when I went to Longwood - a horrible school IMO.  I was confident enough to maintain my integrity and find a good school to go to. 

Let's see.  I also finished Eragon.  With my brain full of dragons and elves and battles, I grabbed Lord of the Rings off our shelves.  I gave Gary the trilogy a few years back.  So now I'm reading it.  I've found a few interesting things that I'm gonna make note of on an entry another day.

Mmmmmm.  An old Krispy Kreme donut is better than any other fresh donut.  We don't have Krispy Kremes on island, but someone was selling them outside of Walmart this morning.  Had to be at least a day old - but they were so soft!  10 seconds in the microwave - heaven!

gas: $2.68 on post    They say it's going up on the mainland, I wonder what will happen here.

another pedestrian was killed during my week off.  :*(

Our electric bill has been down to below $200 (this is in a tiny un-airconditioned house), but it's starting to heat up again and the trade winds are dying down - so that bill will creep up as I crank up the fans and the 1 window a/c unit we use.  Gotta keep at least one room in the house tolerable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
have a great week!
lyn

Anonymous said...

Happy to have you back. Sounds like you have a lot going on.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back...sounds like you've gotten a lot done. Good for you!
Pam

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back.  You were missed.  Only been to Hawaii once, but fell in love with it, so enjoy hearing about the state.  Guess we all need a break now and then from the pc--the house is what suffers!  But, gee, it is fun, isn't it???????  LaVern