Wednesday, October 17, 2007

blue angel video, sneaking vegs, komen

Footage of the blue angels flying right over our house!  I'm standing in our driveway filming this.  So cool.  And so loud.  The little green house with the flag thing you see at the end of the video is our house.

I've bought that Jessica Seinfeld cookbook, Deceptively Delicious.  You wouldn't believe how many people get their panties in a wad over the idea of sneaking vegetables into a child's meal!  The horror!  As if we aren't daily banging our heads against a brick wall trying to get them to eat their veggies.  We're horrible if we don't force them.  Anyway, I'm sick of hearing the judgemental lectures, so please don't lecture me.  I have a spine, thank you very much.

I think it's fun, and Gary is horrified.  I made the chicken nuggets with broccoli.  Not so good - well, not bad, because I like broccoli, but it had a very strong broccoli taste.  Not fooling anyone there.  Gary was good about it.  He gave me the eyeballs, but managed to not make a face, and he ate his share without scraping off the breading.  I know he wanted to though.  Ryan didn't like the taste of it.  I fried 1/2 batch like the recipe says, and baked the other 1/2 and asked them to tell me their preference.  Jake preferred the baked batch, but didn't think it was all that great.  Ryan preferred the fried batch, but it was just the lesser of two evils.  I will not use broccoli again in that recipe.  I'll find a less obvious vegetable.  Tonight I made tacos, it was totally spur of the moment.  I never make tacos, but I had to think of something to do with ground beef using what I had in my pantry.  Then it hit me, sneak in a vegetable puree.  I've got a freezer full of them.  So I snuck in carrots.  I had also pureed a can of tomatoes (because they would pick the tomato chunks out, they do that with chili - including Gary).  Turned out really good.  No one suspected a thing.  I'm going to experiment on my bible study group.  I'm going to make the brownies that have the spinach and carrots.  She says to serve it cold, otherwise you taste the spinach.  So I'm making it tomorrow, bible study is Thursday.  I'm also going to make boxed brownies - as a safeguard.  I'm going to tell everyone that one batch is boxed and the other is homemade.  It will be obvious which is which, but I want to know if the homemade is edible.  LOL!  I'm terrible about trying out recipes on unsuspecting innocent people.

I picked up the Komen team packet today.  It has our race numbers and t-shirts.  I'm excited.  Our team has raised over $500!!  One of our team members has a sister who had breast cancer and she is one of 5 siblings - so they all pitched in.  The race is sunday - bright and early.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool to have them do a fly by like that!!
i must read more on this veg thing..i keep hearing about it but i missed the show...
Lyn

Anonymous said...

let me know how sunday goes!!!! I am so proud of you!!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I never had to go that route with veggies with my son luckily. But, if I had to you bet I would!
Cool to see the Blue Angels. I saw them years ago here in an air show.
Have a good day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if your teammate with the sister who had breast cancer is aware of the Sister Study.  It's this great study being run by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences to find the environmental and genetic causes of breast cancer.  Researchers are still looking for 7,000 more women whose sisters had breast cancer to enroll in the study (they currently have more than 43,000!!).  

Participating in the study is easy and can be done at a woman's convenience and from her own home.  All participants have to do is answer a series of questions about their family history, habits, and environment both over the phone and in written surveys.  Then a licensed female medical practitioner comes to their home to take their measurements and collect urine, blood, and housedust samples.  Researchers then keep in touch with the participants just once a year for up to ten  years to document any changes in their health or environment.  

In order to enroll a woman must have a sister who had breast cancer, but must never have had it herself.  She also must be between 35 and 74 years old and live in the U.S. or Puerto Rico.  Please tell your friend to go to www.sisterstudy.org, or call tollfree 1-877-4SISTER.