Saturday, December 2, 2006

life

The other day I saw Cheryl Crowe (C or S?) on Oprah.  I'm not a fan, because I don't listen to that kind of music, but she said something that just resounded with me.  Sheryl/ Cheryl (I think the S looks right) had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Just in case you didn't know.  She had a lumpectomy and radiation.  And she told Oprah that she wanted to remember every moment of it.  Because it's one of those refining events in your life.  I so agree.  I know I wanted to remember everything and be very present and aware of the moment.  I knew it was a refining event in my life too.  I remember sitting in my recliner, after my big surgery, consciously reviewing the day, feeling what I was feeling and just absorbing it all.  I'm not one for remembering details.  In fact, I would have to go check the calendar in order to tell you the day that I got the C news.  But I clearly remember every moment of that meeting.  I remember my emotions, my thoughts, the doctor and her demeanor.  I don't remember what I was wearing.  Or what I ate that day, or what I listened to in the car.

I like that Sheryl said it was a refining event.  Not defining.  Infertility doesn't define me, being a twin mom doesn't define me and this cancer sure doesn't define me.  But these events have worked hard at bringing out the bad and improving the good.  Important things have become more clear and focused.

Zech. 13:9 "This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like goldThey will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, "They are my people," and they will say, "The Lord is our God."'

Ps. 66: 8-12 "Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.  For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver.  You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs.  You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance."

Silver, gold, abundance.  These are good things.  Really, really good things.

Now, if I could just get all the impurities out the FIRST time.  Multiple firings = slow learner.  LOL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that term "refining event."  I didn't know that she'd had Cancer.  
Good entry (they ALL are!)
Pam