Monday, November 20, 2006

corn and scrapbooking

This is the top chef recipe.  It looks too simple to have gotten the rave on the show, so I'm skeptical.  Plus, the picture on the website has some things (garnish) on top - I wonder what it is.  Beneath the recipe I included the website that has the recipes by episode.  Not that I'd eat much of what they fix!! Ilan Hall Corn N' Bacon

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 pound bacon
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove from skillet to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool and break into medium pieces.
2. Add corn to skillet and cook over medium heat. When corn is tender, add bacon pieces. Stir well and season to taste.
3. Serve warm.

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/recipes/episode_5/index.shtml

I haven't cooked regular bacon in a long time.  I usually buy the turkey bacon (we don't eat bacon much) and Gary grimaces.  So, since it's Thanksgiving, I bought the real thing.  It might tempt Gary to actually eat corn.  That man is a picky eater.  I don't understand how anyone doesn't like corn.  It's sweet!  I think, despite how skeptical I am of the simplicity of the recipe, I think I will like it.  There was a salad I used to get at Don Pablos that had skillet fried corn in it.  Yum.  I've always wanted to try that, but never had.  I don't fry foods any more... Thursday will be an exception. :-)

I'm on a new blood pressure medicine since the pharmacy doesn't regularly stock the one I've been on.  Right now I have a little headache, which I can't necessarily blame on the new meds -but you know how it is - every little thing becomes suspicious.  I've been taking my bp twice a day and it's been great, but I don't trust it's accuracy.  Again, paranoia. LOL!  Boy, I'm going to be a crotchety old lady when I get old.

I haven't done any scrapbooking in several months.  None.  I have time, but not the will. (obviously I'm spending all my creative time here on the pc!!)  Well, the pages I'm working on are from a 70's 80's party.  I can't remember the names of the people and neither can Gary!  LOL!  I hate getting stuck.  Anyway, I told Gary last week "what if I decided to stop scrapbooking?"  Yes, blasphemy, I know.  He wasn't happy because of all the stuff I have.  But I really don't have a lot compared to other people.  I'm really thinking about more of a way to just get the pictures into a book - safely.  With just a tiny bit of journaling and color.  Even more stark than the usual Creative Memories "style".  It's a good idea, but the problem is I haven't done my boys' first two years of life yet.  I want their baby album to be special.  I feel such pressure when it comes to the first year. The boys were so doggone cute, but the pictures were just awful.  That was before we had a digital camera.   yeh, I'll blame the camera.  LOL!  And I want to really document what it was like.  Infancy is special, but with twins, it's an adventure in survival.  I think it'll be the album that will be most interesting to our descendents, not some silly 70's/80's party by a bunch of soldiers and their spouses.  Oy.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that corn sounds too simple to be so yummy!
Becky