Wednesday, January 31, 2007

classmate comment

yesterday, after school, we were at the playground, as we are every day after school.  One of ryan's classmates pass us by and yells out to ryan something about  how he should be home doing his sentences "because you know how you struggle with them".

What?

Why does Cooper know that Ryan struggles with his sentences?  And why is he scolding him?

I quizzed Ryan who pleaded ignorance.

So as the dutiful, concerned mama bear, I wrote a note to the teacher.  And then I spoke to her this morning.  Bless her heart, she got right to the bottom of it.  She spoke to Cooper and made him realize that if someone said something like that to him, it would hurt his feelings.  And it was Ryan's mom's decision when homework was to be done, not his.  She told me that she thought this was a good learning opportunity.  Plus she reassured me that they are not discussing classmates challenges in class.  She says she tries to create a safe environment, and one where the kids do not judge each other on their weaknesses.

You gotta love this teacher.  She is very firm and has very high standards and expectations, within a child's ability.  But she is very good at putting things in a positive light.  Goodness knows I don't have that knack.  I Know in my head what all the books say, but to do it is another thing. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you and the teacher are on the same page! I think you are very positive.. not sure if i have commented here before or not..I am Lyn by the way...;-)

Anonymous said...

He's very lucky to have such a teacher!  
Pam