Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy 2007 Y'all!!

I've tried before, but I can't figure out how to add music to my journal here...

This morning I got up and downloaded some songs and the current J. Vernon McGee lesson and went for my walk.  I did 5 miles today.  (I didn't walk at all yesterday)  One of the songs I had downloaded was a song that was used at Vacation Bible School 2 years ago - and I remember that I liked it at the time and it was peppy, but this time, the words stuck out to me.  It's not a difficult song, not a whole lot of words, but they just fit.  A great start to the new year, I think.  Here are the lyrics:

It's called Trading My Sorrows and it's by Darrell Evans

I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

Chorus:
And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

**************************************************

Last night we ran out to a local store and bought a few fireworks for the boys.  They were sooooo excited!  When we got home it was already dark and it was like driving through a firework display.  Hawaii knows how to ring in a new year, I tell ya.  So when we got home, we had to immediately set up and shoot the fireworks. 

We first got warmed up with sparklers. 

Then a fountain, more sparklers,

then a tank, more sparklers,

another fountain, the racecar, sparklers - you get the picture. 

The grand finale was a large cone fountain.  Anyway, our fireworks stank.  It was nuttin I tell ya.  We live at the end of a T intersection, so we got a good view of several neighbors fireworks.  There was a group catty corner to us who had some pretty spectacular fireworks.  They must've spent several thousand dollars.  We watched them for 2 hours, then went inside to put the boys to bed.  It died down a little until midnight.  Anyway, the boys usual bedtime is 8:30 - and they lasted until 9:30.  Well, Ryan specifically.  He's a stickler about rules and such, and kept a watch on the time.  By 9:30 he couldn't stand it anymore and asked to go to bed.  So we put the boys to bed.  Somehow they slept through the ruckus.

I watched a little tv, played a little gameboy, and Gary had gone to bed by 10:00 and was snoring at 10:30 when I checked on him.  I mosied into the bedroom at 11:30, and 45 seconds left in the countdown I shook Gary awake.  All h-e-double hockey sticks was breaking loose outside.  So I had to get up and watch the events.  It was mostly firecrackers and you could hear them from miles away.  There were two large displays, one on Waikiki beach and one downtown Honolulu.  I don't know if that was what I was hearing, but I heard something huge and far away.  I was in bed by 12:20.

I forgot how smokey and fun new years eve is here.

We saw Charlotte's Web Saturday.  It's very cute.  And of course I cried.  Ryan cried a little bit and the lady in front of us was blowing her nose.  I rate it 1 or 2 tissues.

Another Shrek movie is coming out - gag.  A Nancy Drew movie is coming out too!  Yay!  Now, if only they would put out a Hardy Boys movie!

Happy New Years everyone.

No comments: