Wednesday, May 2, 2007

pictures and interesting news

First, the pictures.  I tried taking pictures of my hair, but they were just too horrible.  I am not photogenic.  But last night I was looking at my hair drooping down beside my face and thought, they look like dog ears.  And then I flashed back to when I was a kid and my mom used to put my hair up in pigtails.  We called them puppy dog ears.  So I did that and took a goofy picture of myself.  Just little nubs on either side.  But funny.

2nd.  I found a spongebob tattoo.  I think it's perfect!  Can't wait to surprise my plastic surgeon.  I'm sure he won't remember, but *I'll* be laughing, and that counts.  He-he!

Now for the interesting news.  During supper last night, Gary asks me what I think about Japan.  As in, moving there on our next assignment.  Of course, I was jumping up and down out of my seat!  I've got itchy feet and love to travel.  I'm thrilled at the prospect of living in another country!  I didn't think we'd ever go further than Hawaii.  I'm stunned that he's even considering it.  My DH is such a homeboy.  He denies it, but he'd be happy living next door to his mama all his life.

Now, you might think that's weird, considering I just posted about yearning to go back to Alabama.  No one said it had to make sense.  I do long for roots, but I also love to travel and see what this old world's all about.

So I post haste hopped online and missed most of American Idol.  I looked up the base, which is near Tokyo, and found out they had pictures and floor plans of housing.  No matter how much I've travelled, it still stuns me that a point on the other side of the globe can look so much like everywhere else I've been.  Call me crazy, but by golly, it's got grass, dirt, trees, blue skies...  I know that's a "duh" thing, but I still have that instant of surprise.  And the pictures of the housing?  Just like every other housing on every other military installation in America.  Same old cinder block house or townhouse.  Nothing unfamiliar there.  Gary tells me that the we would have a particular house.  The job he would do is considered "essential personnel", so there is an assigned house on base.  Interesting...  And it would be a little bit bigger because he would have to have been promoted to get that job.  From O-5 to O-6.  (from Lt.Col. to Col.)  I wonder if I'm too old to learn Japanese?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are just too cute! I love the pigtails. Japan? How exciting! I think you should go. You only live once and what a great experience that would be. Take care,
Trish

Anonymous said...

I really like your picture!  It's cute! And I agree with your hairstylist that the gray looks good on you.  Don't color it!  

Japan huh? WOW what an adventure! I hope it works out for you if you want it.  How long would you be there? Imagine all the things your boys will learn there. I think you should do it. As long as they have AOL over there and you can still keep your journal <wink>.  
Pam

Anonymous said...

my hubby is going to japan next year for a 6 month deployment ..i am planning to go visit him...i like your pic!
lyn

Anonymous said...

I have lived in this house for 10 years...and I long to just up and move but that is  not a possiblity..I miss being able to move!
Becky